Unilever Power Purchase Agreement

Unilever announced the announcement on Monday (September 16th) and revealed that 38% of its grid electricity had been supplied by companies through Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) and green electricity tariffs. Where PPAs and tariffs were not feasible until now, Unilever has acquired Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). Recently, a renewable energy company Eneco in the Netherlands offered a power purchase agreement for the power supply to Unilever`s offices and factories via a wind farm in the North Sea. Unilever UK also signed an agreement in January on the use of 10,000 MWh of biomethane at five of its sites in the UK and Ireland. Another agreement has been signed with Eneco UK to acquire 87% of its electricity generation from the Lochluichart Scottish Highlands wind farm. The remaining 13% of the electricity produced is sold to municipalities at the retail rate. According to Unilever, the company`s transition to renewable electricity has been achieved where possible by supporting the development of local renewable energy markets, with 38% of its electricity supplied through PPAs and green electricity tariffs. Where this has not been possible so far, Unilever Admissible Energy Certificates (RECs) has purchased open-trade certificates related to the generation of electricity from renewable energy sources. Unilever has also worked with partners around the world to produce renewable electricity at its own sites, with solar energy being used at Unilever facilities in 18 countries. As part of our efforts to achieve this goal, we are working with partners around the world to generate renewable electricity at our own sites, with solar energy currently being used at Unilever facilities in 18 countries. In fact, we now have 16 production sites that are completely climate neutral in their energy consumption. The company met its renewable energy targets a handful of months earlier, having previously committed to sourcing all electricity purchased from renewable energy sources from renewable energy sources by 2020. Unilever has taken a “significant step” towards its goal of becoming a climate-neutral company by 2030, the company said today, announcing that its factories, offices, R&D facilities, data centers, warehouses and distribution centers on five continents are now 100 percent powered by renewable electricity.

. . .